Saturday, May 15, 2010

Love Dare (Days 6-9)

Ok, part 2 from a previous post - I got behind for a while, but these are the results of my latest "dares".  The positive is that Darin has been extra happy this last week.  The question I have - is this because I am trying to be a better wife and make home a happier place?  Or does he just feel less stress from his release as bishop?  Either way, I will keep these dares coming because it can only help!
Day 6 - SLOW to ANGER - We all experience stresses.  The question is: Am I going to be like a LEMON? - always retorting with a sour response because I am irritable and I don't care whose feelings I step on! OR will I be a PEACH?  - when the pressure is on, I still choose to remain sweet.  I know from Darin's great example that a soft voice certainly DOES turn away anger and he has a wonderful way lowering his voice to help us chill out at home.  I can definitely  learn from his example.  So today I tried to think about being more of a peach :) and make efforts to eliminate extra stresses in my life that may lead to my being more irritable and quick to anger.  I can get more prepared and plan better for my days and so things go smoother with less stress.  I can also get to bed EARLY and this I plan to do tonight!
Day 7 - Love Believes the BEST - Today already feels great because I am rested!  The book instructed to write a list of things that I love about Darin and a list of things I do not like about Darin.  Fortunately I didn't have much at all on the 2nd list and I felt horrible writing anything down.  We will refer to these lists later the book says.  I chose one thing from the positive list to thank Darin for.  I told him that he works so hard to PLAN things for our family and I love the way his mind is always working for the next plan to make life better.  He replied to my compliment with, "I don't know?  I think the planning is just a Mooso thing."
Day 8 - Love is NOT Jealous - Become Darin's biggest fan.  The book said to start the day by destroying my negative list from yesterday.  Then I needed to share how happy I was with a recent success Darin had.  Again we focus so much on the kids successes and encouraging them that we forget one another.  I thought about one success being his time serving in the ward and another that he recently sold his practice in Star and now has alleviated some stress there, so I told him I was proud of him for the success he's had in these two areas.  He didn't really say much in response, but I know that is because he was probably surprised that I'd congratulated him on something.  I felt good about this today.
Day 9 - Love Makes a Good IMPRESSION - Today I plan to begin greeting Darin warmly.  Sounds funny, huh? - I greeted him with exuberance and huge embrace and smiles and kisses when we were newlyweds.  Now I often shout, "Hey kids!  Dad's home!!  Go get him so I can finish dinner!  And we need to leave in 10 minutes, Darin, so can you get them up to the table and help Colden get his baseball stuff on so we aren't late again?!"  I realize that I rarely even say hello and give him a warm embrace that he would surely love after a day away from home!  Also, now that he exercises at 5 A.M. he often goes to bed at 9:30ish and I'm always later, so he'll say "G'Night" and that's it.  Feels weird.  So I need to make the effort to change by going in with him and having just a quiet moment to say our goodnights with love.

1 comment:

Kristi M. said...

Some of his responses had me chuckling because it sounds like such a guy thing. I am so glad that you wrote about this because I kind of forgot about it and wanted to do it. I am sure the feeling around your house is a mix of both your efforts and the release. I can only imagine the weight that must have lifted when the release as Bishop came which then helped in what you are working on acheiving.