Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Groundhog's Pancakes!

Darin started this silly family tradition exactly 14 years ago today! 
GROUNDHOG PANCAKES on February 2nd

We were newly married and Darin often impressed me with his breakfast making skills.  Perfect fluffy scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, orange julius smoothies and best of all - his pancakes and waffles!  So one morning I woke up to the smell of sweet pancakes.  When I rubbed my eyes to see the griddle - there were some very odd-shaped blobs of batter.  Darin asked excitedly, "Well, what do they look like?!"  I thought maybe snowmen? NO; trees? NO; hearts? NO; I give up!  Then he proudly announced, "They are Groundhogs!!  It's February 2nd!"  I was stunned at his creativity and even more at his random idea for fun.  I couldn't compete with this morning person I had married only 6 weeks before.  I loved him EVEN more!  So the tradition began and Darin has never forgotten a Groundhog's morning in 14 years - amazing!  Bill Murray eat your heart out - I have the sweetest guy around this Groundhog Day.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I've never heard of anyone having traditions for Ground Hog day! Those pancakes are great! Traditions are fun to have!

Kristi M. said...

Today when you asked me what I thought they looked like, I seriously thought it looked like a turtle. I love that this traditionally quiet holiday is celebrated in your house.

Unknown said...

That is Awesome! What a fun tradition!

Orton Family said...

How fun!!!! Husband's are great!